Writing a resume is one of the hardest things to do; there are so many things you have to get right. There are a number of factors that help make your resume impressive; of course the first thing is to have enough experience and right qualification for the job you want apply for; next is how your resume looks because presentation speaks volumes.
The easiest way to have an impressive resume is to make it using Microsoft Office. You can either make your own resume from the scratch or use pre-designed templates.
To help you out with your resume quest here are a few very important tips you can follow with Microsoft Office.
Install Microsoft Word
Make sure you have Microsoft Office in your computer and your Office must have Microsoft Word. You can download the full version of Microsoft Office here.
First thing is first – Get a Headshot
The most important thing for an actor is to look good for which you will need a great headshot; it will be the first thing that your potential employer will see. Here is how you can insert your resume in a Microsoft word.
Go to the Insert tab and select picture tab. Next you will have the option to go to the folder where you have saved your picture. Select it from there and insert. You can later on crop or resize your picture in Word.
Don’t Forget the Right Details
Here are a Few Details your Resume Must have;
- You must add your official name.
- You must give your exact contact information, which should include your active cell number, mailing address, valid email address, official website (if you have any).
- You must mention if you are a part of any union.
- You must write your complete work history; it is best to start with your most recent experience. To make this section look comprehensive you can divide the section into different segments such as Movies, TV, Broadway, Theatre etc.
- You must mention all the skills you have such as horse riding, karate, language skills, dancing or any other talents you have.
- You must also mention any acting or other relevant courses you took.
- You must also include information such as your gender, height, age and you can also mention your eye and hair color.
- You must be very careful about the font you choose for your resume. You must not choose a font that is difficult to read; your casting director will receive thousands of resume and he or she won’t have the time to sit down and decipher your fancy font; keep it simple and readable.
- It is best to keep the same font throughout the resume.
- Do not make the font too colorful; try to use a maximum of two colors; one for the heading and one for the relevant text.
Choose the Right Font
Include a Cover Letter
Your resume should have a cover letter, which must not be too long. You have to keep it to the point; remember no one has free time to ponder over your cover letter.
Have Proper Sections
Make sure your resume has proper sections; for example it should have proper headings for every section such as heading of Contact Information for the section which has all your contact information.
Use Default Templates if not Sure
If you do not know how to make a resume on a blank Word document you can use one of the pre-designed templates. Here is how you can choose one;
- Go to the Office Button at the top and select the option New.
- Next you have to choose Resume from the list given on your left side of the screen.
Remember these options could be different for different Microsoft Word versions.
Truth and Nothing but the Truth
It is best to mention only the things you actually have done or have. You do not want to be caught in a situation where you get selected for a skill that you do not have.
These are some of the basic tips that will help you create a resume that looks professional and detailed.